Buyer - Seller Relationship
The Buyer-Seller relationship is one of mutual confidence and
satisfaction between the SJRA and the Supplier. To meet the needs
of this covenant we have established the following duties and
responsibilities for each.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PURCHASING DIVISION
The responsibility of the SJRA's Purchasing Division is to aid and
assist each department within the SJRA and their staff to procure
necessary goods and services at the best possible price within all
Federal, State, and SJRA purchasing laws. Specific responsibilities
- Assist in the selection of responsible vendors.
- Assist in obtaining pricing information.
- Determine that the purchase price is reasonable and that
requirements for competition and performance have been met.
- Assist the individual departments within all divisions to
develop quality and quantity specifications for goods and services
to be purchased along with required delivery schedules.
- Encourage competition between vendors through negotiations,
competitive bidding, and quantity buying.
- Utilize annual supply agreements whenever possible in
order to maximize the advantages and economies of quantity buying.
- Continuously monitor requisitions by all departments to
facilitate consolidation of purchases where possible.
- Ensure that the SJRA has the ability to take advantage of
quantity and pricing discounts whenever they are available.
- Explore the use of cooperative purchasing programs with the
State of Texas and other Local Government units.
- Control the cost of purchasing for the SJRA.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF OUR VENDORS/SUPPLIERS
The SJRA maintains no preferential bidders list. For certain
products, however, we may establish certain qualifications some of which
may include a vendorís reputation, safety record, and experience. The
SJRA endeavors at all times to maintain good will between the SJRA and
its Suppliers. Toward this end, we ask that you strive to:
- Call ahead for appointments whenever possible.
- Make sure we have current catalogs and pricing, or access to
your web site with this information. It is mutually beneficial for
us to be kept up to date on new ideas or products.
- Refrain from "social calls". Your time is valuable.
- Recognize our limitations regarding authority. A purchase order
is issued only after compliance with Federal, State, and SJRA laws.
- Direct all solicitations to the Purchasing Division prior to
visiting a specific SJRA department. This will ensure that you will
be directed to the appropriate person within the department as
- Conduct your business openly and frankly. As a public agency,
our records are a matter of public record.
- Honor all pricing, delivery, and service agreements as quoted.
- Call us with any questions or suggestions. You are a valued
- Maintain SJRA policy regarding gifts or favors. No SJRA employee
may accept any gifts or favors. The best favor you can do is to see
the SJRA receives the best price, quality, and service.